So this is our 3rd week in Oregon. Things have been great while we've been here but we're definitely overly anxious to get settled in to our own place. It's very difficult to adjust to a new household after you've run your own for the past 8 years. Erik is going to a company that he's really interested in tomorrow to see if they will at least talk to him. One position requires German knowledge which he has so it makes it all the more appealing for him.
I guess I could back track a bit and catch you up with the latest happenings. Last Thursday Erik, the girls, and I headed to Lincoln City, OR which is on the coast for a long weekend at the beach. His parents had rented a house that we stayed in through Sunday. My MIL-Becky, SIL-Cori, and 2 neices joined us Thurs evening. Then on Friday, my FIL-Martin, BIL-Matt, SIL-Wendy and another neice completed our group. We spent quite a bit of time at the beach. The weather is cooler by the ocean then it is here in the valley where we're living. The highs were in the 60's and 70's every day. The water is a bit cool to swim in but the girls would run in up to their knees or so. They had a blast! They also had a lot of fun playing in the sand and looking for shells. Cori and I somehow became the grocery shoppers of the group but it was nice to break away from the chaos a couple of times. We roasted hot dogs on the beach Saturday afternoon and had some really good Mexican food that night for dinner to celebrate Becky's birthday. The girls have a lot of fun playing together but as they are all girls there are usually an argument or 2 to break up.
When we headed back on Sunday, I insisted upon a Walmart stop since we were passing it on the way back. Walmart is like a 30 minute drive from us. Not too far but not close enough to go as often as I'm used to. In the 3 weeks we've been here, I've only been to Walmart twice!! Target is a little closer so it will soon become the total replacement I'm sure! They have a store really close called Fred Meyer that is like a slightly more upscale Walmart or Target. They have decent sales though.
I still feel a little bit lost everytime we're in the car. I think I could get to Wilsonville by myself and I like that area so I hope that's where we end up getting our own place. I would love to know we're moving before school starts so Hannah would be in the right district but that's very doubtful! She starts back on Sept 8.
So Monday was our day of errands. Erik was about to go crazy because the children were along for the ride. We went to the library. I've started a book!! I haven't read a book for pleasure in well over 6 years!! ;) Then, we went to register at Knight Elementary. I signed Hannah up to ride the bus...but we'll see how that goes. I hope we don't end up screwing up her 1st grade year by moving too much. Just not sure at all what the future holds. 1st grade was my favorite elementary year and I hope she enjoys hers as well. Then, we went to West Coast Bank to open up some new accounts. We started the girls a saving account, got one for us, and then opened a checking account. It's a really neat bank and I think we've chosen wisely and we'll be happy with this selection. Then we had to go to Fred Meyer and get Erik a phone with a local #. This is something a recruiter he talked to suggested he do. He got a Net10 phone with 300 minutes so I hope he has a job by the time they are gone!! Lastly Erik took his suit to Men's Warehouse to get it steamed...or pressed...or whatever the heck it is they do to them.
Tuesday (yesterday) Erik went to a job fair in downtown Portland. He took the bus into the city so he didn't have to worry about down town parking or crazy traffic. Wendy and I took our girls plus Cori's girls (Cori was working but her mom came with us to help) to the fair. Wendy's friend came with her 2 little girls also so we had 7 girls aged between 4 and 9. We watched a band play, watched some dancers, and part of a magic show. We also checked out the animals and the freebie booths. The girls (especially Hannah) were really impressed with the police car and getting to talk to the officers. Naomi stepped in a cowpile. Yep. That was fun. :P We did the "free stuff" and left out the rides. The girls didn't say too much about it. It was $8 for adults to get in but kids were free. We didnt want to spend a fortune!! We got the girls good and tired....and filthy too!!
Today was REALLY exciting. Laundry day! Ok so that was slightly sarcastic. It was a slower paced more relaxing day. Those arent too bad. I did get a chance to talk to my sweet friend Mariana. She just had a baby on Aug 3 but had to stay in the hospital for like 10 days due to a horrible infection. Can you imagine having to have someone else take care of your brand new baby while you fought off a horrible infection at the hospital?? But thankfully she's doing much better now. She was upbeat and happy when I talked to her. Though I think she was slightly worn out! lol ;)
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment